Temporary BioHack-Lab

@gaudi that’s absolutely awesome :wink:

I can bring a DIY sterile portable room from Hackuarium to our temporary Biohacklab. @raronoff are we driving?

I was wondering if we can get a tour of CERN or the collider? Not sure if they do that kind of thing. (Also, if they sell t-shirts that say I SMASHED ATOMS AT CERN. They should! I’d buy one!.) The question of the microbial life in the collider is fascinating!

1 Like

can do… but if you want to bring Gustavo’s super diy-hood, we will need something different from my car, I think. Can ask Carl… (or who has a van??)

Hi there,
Yuri speaking (or Iouri – in French), working at CERN under contract with Michigan State University.
Newbie, just curiosity – who you are and what are you doing…
May help you with visits to CERN – bit not to the Collider – there is NO visits there, you are not an exception…
ATLAS control room, old Cyclotron, Antimatter Factory, LHC magnets workshop, Data centre…
Also wonder – how your community get the equipment, materials, etc., for your DYI fun?
Do you have a nonprofit organization which may satisfy your needs?
Also impressed by the geography of participation…
See you soon…

1 Like

I wonder if people think it might be fun to do micronuclei assays on cheek cells (one of the classic methods to see DNA damage)?
My hope for a super hack from the unconference would be if people could help me figure out the best open source way to enable citizen scientists do this well - ideally images of at least 1000 cells (preferably 5000) are needed for good data!
Is anyone keen on trying to do this?
Who has ideas already? Thanks in advance.
Looking forward!

@marymaggic, It will be interisting for me to meet you in Geneva. Denisa Kera mentionned your name to me during the Arizona Biohacking Festival…I hope to learn more from you, and expect to reproduce some of your experiment during the biohacking event in Cameroon.

Hi everyone,

I am working with doctors of rural hospitals in Cameroon. They don’t have basic equipment to make lab analysis and they set a list of basic stuff they need to run a rural lab:
. Microscope
• Centrifuger
• 3 in 1 device to measure : glucose, trigycerids and cholesterol in the body
• Device for hamatology analysis like xp 300
• tensiometer
• Saturometer
• Coagulometer
• Electtrolyte analyser
• Device for endocrinology
• Urine strips analyzer

Since all of you are there, and you have many skills. Can we add a making station where some of you willl build these medical stuffs?

Sachiko

I talked to Marc a bit… I would like the sample of HESc cells for
symbolic proof of concept and pure research potential. I know they are
expensive but often the sacred is profane pricey. Let me know if we can
order them and I will prepare a protocol… check out the feeder free serum
for GM HESc paper from Leiden (abstract attached)

GnipGnop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2bqI--c-k

I would also love a tour but the slots fill up as soon as they are offered? Do we have an in? Are 11 year olds allowed?

@sachiko ehhh forgot to say we need METHANOL!

looking forward to meet you @thomasmboa and hope to do some hacking together!