Ideas for next gen compost workshop

Dear humus peeps and poop lovers! :poop:

Next week, I and some collogues from the association RespecTomorrow will have the chance to conduct a workshop about the wonderful topic of compost to a couple of lucky children in the 7th/8th grade. My appointment’s purpose is to school the children about the roles of the different inhabitants of a worm composter and the process that the organic material is going through. I wanted to give them a bit of an microscopic insight into cellulose and all the other organic macromolecules and talk about the difference to anorganic polymers and plastics.

I only have 15min to work with, so I really can’t go very deep with anything. For now, the best way I’ve found to present the hidden structure of organic compounds is to just print out the images with the molecular structures (like in this file) and maybe let them place these to the macroscopic objects like pieces of wood and shrimp shells. If you have some alternative ideas which could be didactically precious , please let me know! The pictures are put together quite randomly just a couple of different google images. I probably will redraw the chemical structures in ChemDraw, but I’m wondering whether there might be a resource out there which I missed…

Also, I would like to give them a little slide show with images about the microscopic community to loosen up their microphobia. I’ve seen that you already posted already plenty of websites with beautiful microscopic images in this forum like mikrobiomik.org or micrographia. But I would like to give you the opporunity to share some of your favourite images, which you would like the next generation to see. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Dear Ove
Send me your mail ad I send you some microscopic picturesBest
Maya

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail auf Android