Kitchen Lab 連歌 Renga!

Hi folks, in preparing and planning for the Kitchen Lab themed day on Thursday April 2nd, I chatted with Marc today and introduced him to an idea for dealing with remote, decentralised and distributed kitchen labs in the network. We can maybe test it on April 2nd, or even see it as an organisational strategy to overcome our separateness and also restrictions for going out and buying new things where we are.

My idea is have a live workshopology session, a kitchen recipe exchange session, based on the practice & traditions of 連歌 Renga (linked-verse poetry, which precedes Haiku tradition in Japan), the good old everyday life/ hacker tradition of ‘making do’ …(with what one has got, approximate)… We can’t/shouldn’t go out in Europe or USA or South Asia unnecessarily for shopping, if we even can due to COVID-19 shutdowns and curfews… So if the recipe needs XYZ, and we only have WYZ at home, then we make an experiment without X, but with W.

So, example, I start by joining the Kitchen Lab session remotely from Helsinki, suggesting we prepare to make Karjalan piirakka (Karelian rice-pies), which needs porridge rice, rye flour, water, salt, butter… And all you have is sushi rice, buckwheat flower, water, salt, and mayonnaise… You can still make them in a new experimental recipe form. Some-else in Okinawa Kitchen Lab does the next link next, suggesting on the same day making seaweed salad mix to put on top of the pies, or instead of dough from grains, instead pie-bases made from Nato de Coca, or tapioca paper sheets… Next someone remote in Indonesia suggests to extract lactic acid extraction from fermented seaweed, etc. etc…

We try our best wherever we are. Obviously we are going to get stuff out that we don’t expect, but, “What happens in the process, stays in the process” xx

Here are some links to Wikipedia to learn more about Renga (sorry I can only add 1 link here):

I also back in 2015, wrote up and published on researchcatalogue my initial inspiration of Renga as applied to mobile media, way back in 2003-2004, which includes other proper references about the traditions and contemporary practice of Renga: https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/56573/56574

1 Like