How to grow your own meat

hi there, my name is nemo and i’m an artist based in zurich. I would like to realize my project for the transdisciplinary master in the opensciencelab. i’ve already spoken with marc and he mentioned the forum to get in touch with you all.
my goal is to cultivate my own muscle cells to get a piece of meat (which i could eat in the end).
it would be a further development of an older artpiece i did: https://vimeo.com/416894306

I’m new in the field of cell cultivation and i would like to start from scratch, building the needed equipment by my own, co2 incubator, microscope etc. Im not in a hurry, the master takes two years, probably i will start with animal cells to practice and to understand the procedures of tissue engineering better.

I’m open for suggestions how to realize the project, maby there are alternative ways to do it? (tissue recellularization? “meatberry”) or a solution without fetal calf serum?
And does anyone know a good book for me to enter the field of cell culture/tissue engineering/in vitro meat? preferably in german
im looking forward to your feedback.<3

1 Like

Hej Nemo,

sounds interesting, can`t help you at the moment though, since I have no experience in the meat engineering. But I saw in your movie Maastricht University labcoats and that is a good place to search, I think. Not only do I come from there, I also are working in the Researchfocus master Transdisciplinarity. Maybe we meet / uh/ meat up and explore together. I am into mycelium and other fungi/scoby/yeasti stuff.

2 Likes

Hei Nemo

Nice to meet you again. The human tissue engeneering is a bit difficult I have not heard about doing it without the bovine serum. I guess you would need to do it even with human blood serum, but best to may dig more into the subject to the Odin Plattform to ask Josiah. Human Tissue Culture and Engineering - Kit & Class
Or then there is the artists collectif Symbiotic who did a project on tissue ingeneering. About
Would be interesting to get in contact with them for further instructions.

Best
Maya

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail auf Android

| kultkat
August 26 |

• | - |

Hej Nemo,

sounds interesting, can`t help you at the moment though, since I have no experience in the meat engineering. But I saw in your movie Maastricht University labcoats and that is a good place to search, I think. Not only do I come from there, I also are working in the Researchfocus master Transdisciplinarity. Maybe we meet / uh/ meat up and explore together. I am into mycelium and other fungi/scoby/yeasti stuff.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Links in der Nachricht[

| ## About |

• | - |

](https://tcaproject.net/about/)
[

| ## Human Tissue Culture and Engineering - Kit & Class |

• | - |

](Pre-recorded - Human Tissue Culture and Engineering 201 - Kit & Class - The ODIN)

1 Like

Hey,
at gallery Kapelica (Ljubljana, Slovenia) we did this in the beginning of 2020. We did it with artist Theresa Schubert and Educell (professionals with human tissue). It was a challenge to do it, but we did some kind of iteration. If you want, I can dig up the protocols for dealing with it. We should have it somewhere…
And the link to the project: Kersnikova
Let me know.

Cheers,
Kris

2 Likes

thx for your reply, i will have a look at Maastricht University.
fungi stuff sounds interesting! let’s have a coffee at toni someday :slight_smile:

hey maya, im delighted our paths cross again.
thx for your imputs, the symbiotic collective looks super interesting! I will also take a closer look at the kit. xxx nemo

hey kris, oh wow almost exactly what I wanna do, very inspiring! you are very welcome to send me the protocols. especially the nutrient serum from human blood sounds very exciting, would be great to learn more about it. i will pm you my e-mail, thx xxx nemo